Drew suggested:

> The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the contrast
> controls are broken somehow.  My 5300cs has a strange problem - the
> cable going from the contrast/brightness/inverter board is loose.
> The display works fine, but unless you are holding the cable just so,
> the screen is black.  Of course, this only works with the machine
> disassembled...  The screen is in fine shape, and the rest of the
> cable is ok, but at that bend around the inverter board, the cable
> either has an intermittent connection, or the crease has completely
> severed just the wrong part of the cable.  Something like this could
> be happening to you.... These cables are extremely fragile.

This cable sounds like a promising culprit; in an attempt to figure out
where it is I just looked at the exploded view in the manual, and realized
(after making snide remarks about the literary quality of Apple's
instructions) that it  and the so-called inverter board must be *inside* the
screen assemblage.  There are instructions for removing this, but not for
taking it apart:  what I've got in mind (tomorrow, not now, it's gotten to
be glass-of-wine time) is to try, first, replacing the screen with the one
from the c, and if that works (thus localizing the problem) to experiment
with dismantling and repairing the much better ce display.

BTW thanks Drew and Brian and Victoria for the warning about the low-level
format:  since the SCSI connection wouldn't work there was no opportunity to
fool with anything so potentially catastrophic.  And I've zapped and
squeezed and reset and diddled everything in the whole computer about ten
times by now (maybe *that's* what ails it!)

Best,
Victoria
--
Pacem in terris:  Viva la France!