Anybody who's out there --

I just spent most of the afternoon dismantling this PB clear down to the
logic board, as advised by the manual.  It was certainly a learning
experience, fraught with adventures, such as the discovery of a unsuspected
loose RAM card, and later getting to play with a GLOD that lasted until the
power board (which Apple also seems to call the inverter board -- elegant
variation has *no place* in tech instructions) was removed and replaced for
the second time.  End result:  the same bright but blank screen on a machine
that responds to the keyboard and otherwise seems to labor under the
delusion that it works.

The next recommendation is to start replacing parts, and since I've got a
5300c it's tempting to follow it.  I know the c's screen is supposed to work
in a ce (though what a shame to go in that direction, since the ce display
is so much better), and suppose the inverter (power) board will too, but
what about the logic board?  Is there any risk of damaging these known-good
parts by putting them into this berserker ce?  And if the ce turns out
really and truly caput, I'm intending to cannibalize some of its parts to
upgrade the c.  Are the HD, keyboard, and RAM card all exchangeable?
Anything else worth grabbing while the bits and pieces are all over the
table?

BTW whatever sadist invented those rabbit ear connections deserves a
reserved place in one of Dante's circles.

Best,
Victoria
--
Pacem in terris:  Viva la France!