Brian put in his cheery two cents:

> For what it's worth, this (for me) is the way pb100's seem to die.  It's
> like the contrast is "stuck" all the way up, right?  All the pixels on the
> display are "on".   Brightness works OK.  I have 2 in a drawer that did
> this.

And proposed that a transcontinental journey at the mercies of UPS might
joggle it back to life.  Personally I suspect the USPS might do this job
more effectively, but in either case a solid dropkick would be more
exhilarating.

And a little more encouragingly Kenta suggested:

> what if you trashes the new system aswell ? a blank screen used to be
> the result of a ID conflict - but  i do not think that is possible
> with a startup disk. Hook it up as a docked SCSI - save what you need
> of the files and programs on the docked disk and lowlevelformat,
> writes zeros , zap and rebuild the desktop and install again from
> scratch?

I'll give this a try (assuming it can be persuaded to dock again), but
without much hope of success -- since nothing appears on the screen even
when the PB is booted off a floppy, it seems pretty likely that the problem
is in the hardware.  My hunch is something amiss with the screen cable:
it's right next to the PMCIA slot, and the ethernet card connection was the
flaky actor in the first place, and the card has been doing a regular pas de
deux in and out of the slot for the past several days.

Thanks all!

Best,
Victoria
--