>When you tried it, what did you start-up from? I used an old OS 8.5 CD on
>the powerbook.

And

>Just so you KNOW I'm not a complete idiot, and perhaps you can see what we
>are doing differently...
>
>http://www.insysco.net.au/cwbb/MOV01423.MPG
>
>This is a movie (quite crappy quality, sorry about that...) of me selecting
>LLF after booting up in OS 8.5

OK OK, I believe you! ;-)  For the record, we are doing everything
the same.  The only other thing I can think of is that maybe our
different versions of Drive Setup act differently.  On the beige G3
(OS 9.2.2), I'm using 2.0.7.  On the 5300ce (OS 8.6), I'm using
1.7.2.  I can't test my Quadra 630, as it's guts are in a box right
now.  I don't have any other IDE macs on hand...

Interesting...  All I can say is that on the 15 or so IDE-based Macs
I've used, I've NEVER seen this option available when trying to
initialize the internal HD (Quadra 630, a handful of PowerBooks, some
nubus PowerMacs ala 5200, etc).

Though, now that I think about it, it would seem strange that I've
heard this warning before, if it has never been an option on an IDE
mac. (No, I haven't only heard it with respect to SCSI disk mode)

Admittedly, on the PowerBooks, I just booted from the internal disk.
But on the beige G3, I have 2 IDE disks (one's the boot disk, one
isn't).  Both are greyed out.  Maybe a little later I'll track down
the 8.1 disk tools floppy for my 5300ce, but right now I'm too lazy.
My Wallstreet is my internet gateway, so I try not to reboot that
when I don't have to.

That i've selected boot disk shouldn't matter, though - the
"initialize" button will be greyed out, but notably, the Zero all
data option is never greyed out.  When you select the boot disk to
initialize, then select the options, it doesn't care if you've
selected the boot disk or not.

I don't intend to get into an argument (which, I realize, is exactly
what i've started... sorry to make you dig out the camcorder!)  I was
trying to pass on some advice.  If you can come up with documentation
that says it IS ok to LLF an IDE hard drive, then I will recant.
Otherwise, I would say it's better to be on the safe side and refrain
from doing it, than it is to run the risk of ruining a perfectly
functional hard drive.  And lets face it, how many of us back up our
data daily? ;-)

Finally, why would you want to?  One of the advantages of IDE drives
is that they automatically write out sectors and bad blocks.  LLF
would be redundant.  As I've read around the web, the best way to
handle bad blocks on an IDE disk is to let the drive figure out what
to do with them.  You do that by picking "zero all data."  The drive
will write zeros to every block on the disk. When it sees a bad
block, it will automatically map it out.

LLF is really only useful for SCSI drives.

>what is a shenigan - a fruit ? a japaneese eatingtool ?

"I declare shenanigans on you! Shenanigans! Shenanigans!"  That is a
line from South Park on the US cable network Comedy Central.  South
Park is not entirely politically correct, though it does manage to
have some redeeming and extremely scathing political and social
commentary from time to time.  Depending on usage, the noun
shenanigan can mean something is a prank or mischievous, or it can
mean a scam, trick, or underhanded act.  I meant it more as a joke.

Peace,
Drew

--

Author of ClassicStumbler
email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Want to know if your neighbor has Wi-Fi?  Find out with
ClassicStumbler! <http://homepage.mac.com/alk/classicstumbler/>