On 3/17/03 Drew wrote:

>>Following this amusing thread on my 1400c, I decided to try drive setup on
>>my machine. The LLF option is not grayed out and I am able to check it.
>>
>>Not saying it works or doesn't hurt the drive, but the option is available.
>>
>>20gb IBM Travelstar IDE/ATA drive, Sonnet 333MHz G3 upgraded 1400c running
>>OS 9.1 48MB Ram.
>
>I just tried this on my Wallstreet and 5300ce.  I selected the
>internal hard drive, then went to "Initialization Options..." and the
>LLF option is definitely greyed out.  I can take screenshots if you
>want, but that won't prove my point: the selected drive is not
>highlighted when the main DS window is not in front (such as happens
>when the Initialization Options dialog is on the screen).
>
>Wallstreet: OS 9.2.2, IBM TravelStar 40GXN
>5300ce: OS 8.6, Stock (Toshiba?) 1.1GB HD
>
>HOWEVER, if you open Drive Setup and select "Initialization
>Options..." without FIRST selecting a hard disk to format, you will
>be able to check LLF.  Still, when you go to format your IDE HD, it
>will not be low level formatted.
>
>If you don't believe me that Drive Setup greys out the LLF option
>when an IDE drive is selected, then believe Apple:
>>ATA (IDE) drives internalize tracking and sparing of bad blocks.
>>Drive Setup and ATA drivers thus have little control over this
>>process. Which is why the low-level format option is dimmed when
>>initializing an ATA (IDE) hard drive.
>(From: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=24764>, "Drive
>Setup: Checking for bad blocks")

Some earlier versions of Drive Setup did allow you to choose LLF but
never did they actually LLF an ATA drive. It's simply not possible, a
modern ATA drive doesn't have the ability to format itself, unlike scsi
drives which do.

<http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/geom/formatLow-c.html>

Perhaps a careful reading of the ATA command set would provide convincing
proof, though I was unable to find an actual copy of the various ANSI
standards. Here's a couple of places to start your search for the elusive
documents:

<http://www.ata-atapi.com/hist.htm>
<http://www.ansi.org>

Along with the above, here's an "I agree" with Drew on this one.

Dan K