Sounds like great advice. Where do I can an external CDROM and cable? I have a duo dock II and a mini dock already.
Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

I agree entirely with what Dan Palka wrote. I run 8.6 on my 2300c (44 MB real RAM), and it works pretty well. I'll spare you from any further diatribe on the subject.

You can install any OS up to (and including) 9.0.4 via network - you don't have to hook up a CD-ROM to your Duo. However, this does require the use of a 2nd Mac with a CD-ROM drive, and it's really helpful if you have an ethernet network (though you can do this with serial networking - LocalTalk - equipment as well).

This discussion assumes you _haven't_ got ethernet (which, since you've got a DuoDock and MiniDock, you seem to have).

- Find yourself a serial/LocalTalk/printer cable. Hook it up to the printer/modem port of the PowerBook and the printer port of the desktop Mac.
- Boot up both Macs.
- Make sure both Macs are set to never go to sleep.
- On both Macs, open the AppleTalk control panel and set "Connect via:" to the appropriate port (printer/modem for the PowerBooks, printer for the desktop).
- On the desktop, open the File Sharing control panel (or the Sharing Setup control panel on older OSs). If you haven't yet filled out the Onwer Name, password, and computer name, do so now. Turn File Sharing on.
- Once File Sharing has started up, close the control panel. Insert the Mac OS CD into the CD-ROM drive.
- If you have Mac OS 8 or later on the desktop, Get Info on the Mac OS CD (for 7.5.x or 7.6.x, select the disc, then choose "Sharing" from the File Menu). Click the checkbox to share the disc, then set whichever privileges you want. (Owners can always access all disks, regardless of whether they are being "shared" or not. So this step isn't really necessary).
- On the PowerBook, open the Chooser and click on AppleShare. Double click the name of the desktop Mac.
- Enter the appropriate owner's name and password.
- Select the Mac OS CD and click "OK"
- When the shared CD mounts on the PowerBook, open it and install Mac OS as normal.

Be prepared to wait a _very_ long time for this to work. I installed OS 8.5 then the 8.6 update to my 5300cs using this method at one point (actually, I used IRTalk which is cooler than LocalTalk but just as slow). It took hours to work, but work it did. You might want to let this run overnight while you sleep...

Peace,
Drew
--

Author of ClassicStumbler email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> web: <http://www.alksoft.com/>