There is no way you guys can possibly tell me that OS 9.1 *feels* faster than OS 8.1. Which is the version I was rooting for. Whilst some actual operations are probably faster in 9.1 because of the more PowerPC optimization, 8.1 feels wayyyyyyyyyyy faster. 7.6.1 feels wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy faster than that. Especially true for those two with Speed Doubler 8 installed. I don't see what anybody could possibly be doing with a Duo 2300c that would require OS 8.5 or up. Anything that "requires" those versions is too intense for a Duo in the first place in my opinion. What are you trying to run Photoshop 7? Final Cut Pro 1.2.5?

OS 9 takes ten years to boot, and finder redraws (menus, windows, icons) are definetely noticeably slower. For writing a document in Word 98, OS 9 is overkill.