Great perspective on a very important topic. I plan to try both approaches.
Thanks,
Mark

On Mar 15, 2005, at 3:23 PM, Dan K wrote:

I wrote:
Not necessarily slow, OS 9.1 can be quite satisfactorily speedy on a
2300C, caveated (!) :-) by two things:
. . . maxed ram and a fast harddrive

To which Daniel Palka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> replied:
In most situations, I would say "everybody has their own opinion!" But
in this case I must say, the above is an entirely false statement.
Yep, my opinion, or as I 'd prefer to think of it, my experienced
judgement. I've used nearly every 'Book, from 100 to 1000 (Ti 1gHz) and
in my experience a 2300C with 56MB ram, a fast HD and OS9.1 is a very
usable machine.

The key-to-OS-9-usability is to minimise the performance hit when the Mac
inevitably needs more than the available RAM. So first thing make sure
you've got all the RAM possible. Secondly, make sure Virtual Memory is as
speedy as possible, that's where the fast HD comes in. I should add a
third tactic, though relatively minor it can make a significant
contribution to overall speed: use a separate partition exclusively
dedicated to VM.

In fact, I prefer OS 9.1 on any Mac which can run it, applying the
max-ram/fast-HD rule. These include my PPC PB540C/167/40ram/30GB HD, my
60MB rammed PBs 1400 and 56MB rammed PBs 5300.

In spite of the common wisdom that 9.1 is slower on these older PPC
machines, my experience is that 9 can be faster. Why? Mostly because OS 9
has loads more native PPC code. Every OS pre-9 is burdened with tons of
legacy 68K code, and 68K emulation takes CPU time. The downside to OS 9's
largely PPC codebase is that it's bigger and takes more space, both on
disk and in ram. Thus the need for lots of ram and lots of fast HD space.
Thus OS 9's extra resource dependency may explain why most folks aren't
happy with 9. They almost certainly haven't done the ram and HD upgrades
necessary for satisfactory performance.

I appreciate Dan P.'s experience doesn't mirror my own, but "an entirely
false statement" . . . really!?!
<G>

dan k (standing tall for OS 9!!) LOL!

http://macdan.n3.net/