On Nov 13, 2005, at 7:16 AM, Ian Nixon wrote:

The light is an LED and the when they make a sound, they only do it once (when they blow up - personal experience).

I hope this isn't what's happening - one more thing to add to the list to fix :-P (PRAM battery, PRAM battery cable, RAM card, etc.)

I'll offer, with greatest regards, that a blown-up LED won't continue to light up, so is rather unlikely to make repeating popping sounds, rather, as Clark indicated, just one pop. After that, the magic smoke is gone and it no longer will work.