Good summary, Gene.

I'd add that the 1400 keyboard is widely favored over the 3400's. Both are very nice machines overall, as you say.

Winfidel

From: Gene Osburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "PowerBooks" <powerbooks@mail.maclaunch.com>
Subject: Re: Which PowerBook is for me?
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:46:35 -0800

SNIP

Higher RAM ceiling (144 vs 64 MB) and PCI vs NuBus architecture would be my main reasons. Other considerations/comparisons: - 1400 can be easily upgraded to G3, no upgrade path for 3400. A 3400/240 running OS 8.1 or 8.6 could be fast enough for your uses, though.
- 1400's small form factor and light weight compared to 3400.
- Config details, peripherals and price point will almost certainly vary widely on the used market. If you stumble into a nice bundle at a good price, go for it -- don't hold out for a particular model 'Book because of some arbitrary set of specs/standards in your head. If properly configged you should be quite content with either model.

Gene Osburn
SNIP