Hello Tim,

>MHO, the biggest reason they don't see too many replies is the fact that
>the person with the problem is still using 10.2.8 AND the beta!!  How
>many PM users still use 10.2.8?

Far more than you would probably believe :-)  I'm sure there are also
tons using earlier versions too, though as a percentage probably on the
low side.  Most home users don't have a clue about upgrading, so they
tend to use what they have on their system for many years.  Plus, the
upgrade to 10.3 costs a decent chunk of money and therefore home users
don't upgrade as often as corporate, school, or power users do.
Especially if the person bought 10.2 just before 10.3 was released (like
me, unfortunately!).  For me, I'm waiting for 10.4 to come out before
upgrading.

Before upgrading to OS X last January I had been using OS 8.6 since 1997.
 I had mission critical software that I needed every day that didn't work
on System 9 or higher.  And I've been a Mac geek since '87 and Mac
software developer since '93 :-)

>How many jump on board a beta?  How many
>have both?

Good point, but it is not really relevant.  If someone is using an
earlier release version, or a different OS version, and they have the
slowdown their input would still be valuable.  Not having the problem
might also prove of value, but it is harder to say for sure what that means.

>I am a computer professional for a university and have to deal with betas
>and interactions on a regular basis.  It is mainly because of that fact
>that I almost never use betas, especially with bought software.  I figure
>I've paid for a license to use working software so I will wait until the
>production version is released.

I agree.  However, I'm using the beta because I was having serious
problems with the released product.  One of the worst problems appears to
be partially fixed as the result of the beta.

>The second biggest reason, again IMHO, is that the discussion has taken
>on some nasty overtones and most people would rather just stay away.

People can still answer a simple question without getting mired in the
problem solving debate :-)

Steve