On   Friday, October 27, 2006,   Wayne Brissette   sent forth:

>>On a related note, will the 2 gig limit be going away in a future
>>version? Alternately, will we be able to use several databases
>>simultaneously (i.e., let us split a 1.8 gig database into 3 or 4
>>smaller ones, but have them all open concurrently)?
>
>Can I ask a serious question? How often do people run into this 2 GB
>limit? I find myself every 6 months or so, going through and deleting
>hundreds of emails. I find that after 6 months I can usually get rid of
>30% of my email, 1 year later I can get rid of even more mail. Usually I
>find for myself, that it's laziness rather than really needing email as
>the main reason I end up keeping so much of the email I have (do I really
>need Buy.com's daily specials 2 years later? --- don't laugh, I have
>found some on my computer).
>
>Anyhow, I just really wonder how many people really run into the 2 GB limit.
>
>Wayne

I maintain a database that has never gone over 100 MB AFAIK, nor is it
likely to in the future.  It averages 90-95 MB before compaction and 78-
85 MB after compaction.  I still have over 10,000 messages in the database.

Like Wayne, I go through my folders every few months and toss quite a
bit.  On the other hand, I don't use it for my business per se, rather it
is an alternate archive for work but mainly for home use.  Even some of
my work email has a shelf life.

That being said, having a parent folder represent a different database or
similar setup would be interesting.  Thunderbird takes that approach and
sees to function well.  Just a thought.

--
Tim Lapin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]