Sounds *exactly* like my experience.

I too am moving towards IMAP, be it gmail or the MS Exchange version. It is not so much a choice as a realization that to do what I need to do with e-mail requires the migration from POP to IMAP.

Yes, the interface in Mail is decidedly messier and busier than that of PowerMail. I have always liked PM's clean look and might, therefore, go back to it full time *IF* IMAP was given equal consideration as POP.