Actually, one only has to do that once and then the folder structure is shown on ALL IMAP clients. Most importantly, it includes one's Sent mail data as well.

The consistent and complete folder structure is the very strength of IMAP. Better yet, if the server is fairly full featured, one could set up all the rules on the server, thereby insuring that filtering is applied equally in all situations and not simply on the client that happens to have the filters defined locally. The other option is to define a full set of filters and rules on each client, making sure that said rules are identical in each case. A fair amount of work.

I used to work exactly as you do. Multiple POP clients, with the primary one cleaning up the server database automatically and the others set to "Leave on Server Indefinitely". That worked until my work environment evolved to a point where Exchange / IMAP became more useful and my personal email environment became gmail centric.