On 2/26/15 10:23 AM, Malcolm Greene wrote:
Anyone using a standup desk? Would appreciate hearing about your
experience ... pros, cons, tips ... do you use for specific type of
activities and avoid for others?

I started working standing up about 2.5 years ago. Nothing fancy, just a floor mat so my feet don't get too tired, and whatever's necessary to get a stable platform at good ergonomic height.

Ergonomic in the loose definition of the term. It's impossible to be ergonomic on any laptop (eyes just above center while not resting your wrists while typing).

When I was contracting at Cisco, they insisted on buying me a $5000 adjustable desk but I still had to put the monitor up on 2 reams of paper to get the ideal height. And once I set it I never adjusted it again, so they really needed to spend $5 on a wrench so I could just adjust the height of the desk in the cube but that was against company policy, but I digress...

I work standing up unless I'm watching long videos or participating in long google hangouts, in which case I either pace around to the length of my headset or lie down on my bed and get some z's in.

I play minecraft sitting down though, and I work with my laptop in my lap sitting down on public transit.

I'd say, don't buy anything. Try it out with your own found props first, give it a couple weeks, and then if you really want to spend money go for it!

Personally, I like it. My posture has benefitted, and I need to move around a lot because otherwise my feet will fall asleep (peripheral neuropathy). They say I burn more calories but I haven't lost any weight. Then again beer is a lifestyle now.

Paul