>>And since MS isn't going to be selling or supporting their legacy OSes any
>>more, how are they
going to do that?<<

I warned you not to get me started on this. <g>

We discussed this very issue after the DAFUG meeting a couple of months ago. I
am not a fan of
legislating every darn thing in our lives, but I am leaning more towards this
one getting the
governments involved. It is my believe that all operating systems are mission
critical to almost
every human being in some fashion, and like cars should be subject to recalls.

There are laws to force auto manufacturers to supply car parts for a long time
(I am not exactly
sure of the length of time). There are laws regulating cars that have safety or
engineering defects
get recalled and fixed for free (consumers do not have to pay for the fix other
than the loss of
their car while the dealer makes the correction).

I think the same type of rules can be applied to *all* operating systems. The
operating system has
bugs (engineering defects) that affect the safety of the users losing data and
work product. The
operating system obviously needs security patches (parts). I think the
correlation between the two
means companies like Microsoft, Apple, the Linux Open Source groups, IBM, DEC,
etc. have a
responsibility to their customers to support the operating systems we count on.

So the argument made against this was simple: other members asked me if I was
going to support my
software forever and fix bugs and make patches available. Strange, I already do.

I also understand the realities of perpetual fixes and terms like "support
forever and ever" not
being a good thing for all businesses. The reality of this can also be equated
to the auto industry.
If I have a 84 Chevy I can still get parts and can still find someone to fix my
car. I can't really
count on a recall to get something fixed, but I can hire a mechanic to do so
for me out of my own
pocket. I think there is some realistic time lines that can be applied to
operating systems. I just
think 10 years is too short for security fixes.

But I am not a person who is even remotely inclined to run for legislative
office, and I am not
qualified to begin to understand all the ramifications involved with an idea
like this one. But that
has not stopped hundreds of others from doing so in Washington and the 50
states here in the USA and
in governments around the world.

Rick
White Light Computing, Inc.