On May 26, 2007, at 6:16 PM, Kenneth Kixmoeller/fh wrote:

> That analogy being apt: How many IT projects would be done at all if
> one had to go through the rigors associated with constructing a
> structure? Architectural renderings, engineering specifications,
> adherence to building codes, periodic inspections by inspection
> professionals (any one of whom can stop a project for non-
> conformity), written and formally-approved change orders and all of
> the rest.

        I don't think that the process would be 100% analogous, in that not
every computer program failing would cost human life. It would be a
range of effects, such as exist between building a deck 2 feet off
the ground and building one 200 feet off the ground.

> I am not saying that would be a bad thing, but the costs would
> skyrocket.
>
> I'm curious. What effect do you think such a system would have?
>
>   - Cost increase by what percent? 500% at least is my guess.
>
>   - Would failure rates fall? (or just be government-contractor-like
> spectacular failures?)

        I think that fewer would see the light of day. Small-scale project
tend not to fail as often, due to the lack of extreme complexity. But
poor designs in large-scale projects would most likely be weeded out
earlier, potentially saving money, too.

        One big benefit would be the "hurry up and start coding" mentality
that is so common today.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com