Unfortunately marketing and "doing the right thing" are diametrically opposed.

I my world, there would be constant updates to XP that continue to add
functionality incrementally and the user pays a small yearly fee for future
versions.  Stop your subscription in 2008 then you only get updates and bug
fixes for 2008 and back.

New versions of OS from Microsoft always gives us a step back before a step
forward.