Ted Roche wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 8:57 PM, KAM.covad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I think a lot of our clients would go to Linux, but we would have to support
>> everything. I wish someone would come out with a fully
>> loaded machine that has Linux, email, office, etc.
>
> You mean, like http://www.dell.com/linux ?
>
>> Then I wish we could get all our VFP9 software converted to Dabo. I think it
>> would work, but it is a scary step when everything works like it is. We have
>> a million lines of code with all those little 'fixes'
>> that only come after your software has been used by a thousand clients over
>> 10 years. We did that when we converted from FPD26 to
>> VFP6. That seemed impossible, and it was, but we eventually got it working.
>> We would never go back.
>
> Have you looked at converting your app to a web app? Then you could
> move from having to support every wacky patched version of some
> single-source OS into supporting FireFox, Safari, Opera and IE7? And
> the client could run their choice of DOS, Windows, Vista, Snow
> Leopard, Free BSD, Solaris or JoesOperatingSystem, and that would not
> be your problem?

I've always had problems with these kind of statements. Web apps are NOT
OS independent, only the CLIENT part may be OS independent (though you
have to be careful that you comply with "FireFox, Safari, Opera and IE7"
and etc., I fail to see what you've gained), as for the SERVER part you
must comply to Apache or some other server that runs under a specific OS
and on top of it your language must be supported in this server.

So I'd rather stay with a desktop app written in a cross OS language. I
wonder what language would that be.