> You mean, like http://www.dell.com/linux ?

What I find interesting with Dell offering Ubuntu (at least when I was
looking a few months ago) is Ubuntu Linux is offered on only a few of their
models, and the pricing was not much less than the Windows OS platform PCs.
So I figured what they were able to eliminate in M$ OS cost they had to make
up with having a group of Support Techs that were at least fairly proficient
with Linux, even if the same Linux reps were also able to provide Windows
support.  To have a specific group of dedicated or dual OS capable reps
would have taken time & money to provide training for, which would have to
be passed on to the folks purchasing the Linux based PCs.  And since there
are (still) far fewer folks buying Linux PCs than Windows, that added cost
would be spread over fewer PCs, thus the price per PC for the Ubuntu support
would pretty much offset any potential savings by not having to buy a
Windows OS for each PC.

But, in looking at the overall scheme of things I am glad Dell made the
Ubuntu move.  I am surmising if enough folks begin to purchase the Linux
machines they may begin to offer Linux with other PC models as well.  As it
is they offer both Suse and Red Hat OS options for their Server class
machines (not Ubuntu Server, yet).

I have opted to order my Server machines from Dell without any OS, and
install Ubuntu (or Windows Server) on my own.  Ubuntu 7.10 had a few video
driver limitations, but v-8.04 fixed that.  And the GUI Desktop version
install failed, so I had to install the Server version without the GUI
interface, then added the GUI shell after the installation was completed
(that was a Dell sc420 Server with P4 Dual Core CPU, 4Gb RAM).  It has been
rocking on reliably ever since, just like the Novell Suse Enterprise v-10 it
was running for the year prior to me Ubuntu-izing that Server.  I never give
the Server a second thought.  It just works.

Anyway, for all the beating up Dell has sustained over the years, I for one
have had a great experience with Dell over the past 4 years.  And with my
next (non-Apple) Desktop PC I will consider a Linux OS machine if they offer
it on one of their beefier machines.  Then again, I do not need as beefy a
machine with Linux as with Windows - just lots of RAM for the VirtualBox app
for each virtual PC...

Gil