On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Gil Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> be passed on to the folks purchasing the Linux based PCs.  And since there
> are (still) far fewer folks buying Linux PCs than Windows, that added cost
> would be spread over fewer PCs, thus the price per PC for the Ubuntu support
> would pretty much offset any potential savings by not having to buy a
> Windows OS for each PC.

Right. Free as in speech, not free as in beer. That's how it works. I
charge the same to write SQL on Postgres as I do on SQL Server, too.

> I have opted to order my Server machines from Dell without any OS, and

Is that just to punish them for all the good work they do supporting
Open Source?

<g,d&r>

> Anyway, for all the beating up Dell has sustained over the years, I for one
> have had a great experience with Dell over the past 4 years.

Dell Business/Professional machines are in a different category with
consumer machines. All vendors in the consumer space are in a race to
the bottom on price.

>  And with my
> next (non-Apple) Desktop PC I will consider a Linux OS machine if they offer
> it on one of their beefier machines.

We've been desktop-free for a number of years here. With Lenovo
retiring the ThinkPad line, the next laptop is likely to be either
Dell or Apple.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC