On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Paul McNett<p...@ulmcnett.com> wrote:
> David Smith wrote:
>> I'm not sure why there's so much angst over a few simple clicks in the
>> default folder views for Windows 7. Everything you want ( details view,
>> extensions, and so on) are all right there. Unlike their introduction of the
>> Office Ribbon, they have not removed choice this time, they've just done
>> what they've been doing since what... windows 2000? Is this really a
>> surprise they'd carry it to win 7? I understand why MS keeps it simple for
>> the non-professional, I think it makes sense to warn the newbies that if
>> they blindly muck about in the windows folder, they are likely going to
>> break something important. Having broken it so badly I've had to reload the
>> OS at least a dozen times while learning what made it tick, I sure wish
>> Ubuntu would have waved a flag at me and say " Yo! Dummy! Be careful in
>> here!".
>
> The other major operating systems simply make it impossible for a normal user
> to do
> anything damaging in system folders. Show them all the files, but don't let
> them
> modify them.
>
> Seems simple enough, right?

I guess we have the protection vs over protection syndrome going on here.

Did M$ make a decission becase over 4 years their help support system
had millions of calls in for I lost a file?  Only to be determined
that they renamed it and nuked the extension.

hahahahaha we all have experienced it, and we were aware enough of the
situation to not freak out.

--
Stephen Russell
Sr. Production Systems Programmer