At 04:16 PM 9/18/2003, Back, Norb wrote:

Service Pack 7  Service Pack 7   Service Pack 7  Service Pack 7
Service Pack 7

I don't think it's going to happen, and here is why:

Altium tried to go to ATS, which was, quite simply, a maintenance fee to be paid yearly. We didn't like it. But we still have to pay for maintenance, someone has to pay those salaries!!!

For a long time, the policy has been free maintenance, free support -- such as it is, we can do better ourselves in most cases, which is simply natural given how many of us there are compared to Altium employees -- , but upgrade charges to new versions.

The advantage of the Protel system is that you have, generally, more flexibility as to when you upgrade; further, Altium tends to a lower effective maintenance cost than the industry standard, which seems to be above 15% per year.

The DXP upgrade seemed expensive because of the number of years that 99SE was the latest and greatest without any additional charge....

However, if we want SP7 to happen, we should be willing to pay for it. It could be done, through the Association ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), but I'm not holding my breath.