> My company won't upgrade computers, much less software.  Getting a new
copy of Windows even is like pulling teeth.  Our interns work on one P266
(two people).  I wish there was an upgrade for CEOs.

Maybe it's because Windows' purchase price and licensing terms are so much
less tolerable than they once were?  I have put the brakes on new Microsoft
purchases at my company because of this.  Windows Product Activation,
Licensing 6.0 (a.k.a. Software Assurance), and a 100% price increase in 4
years doesn't exactly give me warm fuzzies about buying more of their
products.

Is it any wonder that people are reluctant to spend money on computers and
software?  Consider:

1) Anything you buy WILL become obsolete in less than 3 years
2) Any software you buy WILL have flaws (bugs) and there is no warranty
3) Support is practically non-existent
4) Probability of failure is very high (hardware failure, data corruption,
etc.)
5) Each new model/version requires some degree of re-learning on the user's
part
6) Integration with other existing systems is always a concern, and
sometimes a big problem
7) The resale/salvage value is nearly zero.  In fact, it costs to dispose of
old equipment.

Pretty bad deal, eh?

I can relate to your interns' plight.  While getting my BSEE, I was working
part-time for a local (Tallahassee) traffic products company in the late
80's.  They started me out in the repair shop.  I had to share a scope and
soldering iron with another tech.  But I got creative.  There was a filing
cabinet drawer full of old Weller soldering iron parts.  From a pile of old
soldering irons, I was able to salvage enough parts to build a fully
functional iron.  I had to modify the case (you know, those blue plastic
Weller cases) by sawing a larger rectangular hole to fit a switch and
indicator from a different model unit.  I got out my trusty Swiss army knife
saw blade and went to it.  Shortly thereafter, I had a working iron as good
as any of the other techs.  Still had to share the scope, until I bought a u
sed NLS mini-scope from a friend in physics class.  I had always wanted one
of those NLS mini-scopes for my own use, anyway.  I took my mini-scope to
work with me every day, and back home at night.  The scope wasn't that
great, but it was adequate for troubleshooting work.

Now, maybe your CEO is a cheapskate and perhaps numerous other expletives.
But tell your interns to get creative.  Maybe you have some old PCs laying
around that can be salvaged for their use?  If you can't get new Microsoft
licenses, maybe a Linux distro could be used?  It depends on what work the
interns are doing, of course.  If they are doing spreadsheet grunt work or
something like that, OpenOffice (free) can do just about everything Excel
can.  If they are doing PCB design, they gotta have Windows to run Protel
on.

The best way to get rid of your boss is to make him look good so he will be
promoted away from you...

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com

> My company won't upgrade computers, much less software.  Getting a new
copy of Windows even is like pulling teeth.  Our interns work on one P266
(two people).  I wish there was an upgrade for CEOs.

> We've had 99 SE for maybe four months, but we bought it new--two copies in
fact.  So I guess that means they still make it.