From: Ian Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2003/09/18 Thu AM 08:29:43 EDT
To: Protel EDA Forum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [PEDA] P99SE has Altzheimers' ?

On 10:00 PM 18/09/2003, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>Yeah!
>
>I don't know about you guys, but my company just dropped 16 Grand on 99
>SE.  We can't possibly afford to upgrade to DXP.  If Protel decides not to
>support SE, we're really hosed.  Guess it's a good thing I found this user
>group (or is it more like a support group?).

If "just" means recently then you must have bought 2nd hand
copies?  Otherwise you would have paid for a P99SE migration pack, which
includes DXP when you have the need/want/hardware to run it.  Or am I wrong
- can you still buy new P99SE licesnses?

Otherwise the quote upgrade price is about $2500.  Lets assume a designers
on-cost is between 25 and 50 dollars per hour - 25 to 50 hours of improved
productivity will pay for it, one week.  So, the question then is how long
will I have to be running DXP to get 25 to 50 hours of productivity
improvement?

That is the real question, not the actual cost.  But this is a harder
question to answer.

I have been a little disingenuous here, I haven't included the learning
curve which is significant in one area - queries.  Add a few days for that.

Ian