What I'm having a problem understanding is why I have to do the
process twice in order for the parameters to be active in the rotary
knob. So I think I'm missing something. If it helps

1. Pres insert
2. Press which insert you are using, (E.G. a)
3. Press channel where insert is

Now the plug-in window should appear and you should be able to use the
rotary knobs for the plug-in.

HF