From: ptaccess@googlegroups.com [mailto:ptaccess@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Nickus de Vos
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2012 4:42 PM
To: Pro Tools Accessibility
Subject: Re: Using 1 hd for recording

The mini with OS x server also has the fastest processor which is a
good thing and the 8 GB ram will also work to your advantage. I'm not
sure about the OSx server thing, as far as I know it also has normal
OSx but others on here might be able to clarify. It is however still
very important to make sure that the hard drive or drives in the mini
you choose is 7200 RPM. As standard all minis come with 5400 RPM
drives, with previous versions you were able to configure them with
7200 RPM drives but that's no longer a option on the apple store, the
only option is to configure them with a fusion drive or SSD. A SSD is
not ideal for recording and I can't find the speed of the fusion
drives anyware but think they are also 5400 RPM. Ask the apple store
or wherever you buy if they can upgrade the drives to 7200 RPM it will
only cost about $50 more than 5400 RPM drives. This is very important,
7200 RPM drives would help you more than a fast processor or a lot of
RAM, you can have the fastest quad core processor with 64 GB ram but
it won't help at all if you have a 5400 RPM drive. You are buying a
new machine so getting it right from the start will help a lot and as
I said the jump from 5400 RPM drives to 7200 RPM drives won't cost a
lot extra.