On Sunday, May 6, 2012 2:09:20 PM UTC-7, Ken Barber wrote:

> >> Do you really think its hard? I was under the impression it was
> >> relatively easy these days.
> >

> > huh. I dunno, lets just say that it did not seem that way at
> >
> https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-module-tool/blob/master/README.markdown
> >

> So the principle is:
>
> * Create a Modulefile according to the defined format in that doc
> * Run 'puppet module generate' (or puppet-module generate if your
> using the old tool)

Once again, I hit a "documentation is lacking" problem.

The above command generates a whole BUNCH of files:
./tests/init.pp
./README
./Modulefile
./spec/spec.opts
./spec/spec_helper.rb
./metadata.json
./manifests/init.pp

But the README is utterly useless in mentioning what the contents of each
of those files is supposed to be.

Also... my earlier assumption seems to be correct. In principle, at least.
Just looking at the "best practices layout" autogenerated there... this
seems to be primarily geared towards *classes*, and end user "modules".
Not back end "here's a whole new resource type" code.

And IMO, that's as it should be. Back end ruby language code should be held
separate from regular "puppet language code" stuff.

But that doesn't leave me a clear path for how to have my svcprop resource
shared out to others.

As a suggestion.. if you guys INSIST on overloading the term "module", to
cover both user-level code, and back-end code, then I would recommend you
add an additional, separate subcommand to puppet-module, that generates
back-end templating, instead of the default user-side templating.
Dumping both types of templating as the default, would make things more
confusing to the general-case user.
It's confusing enough (with all the extra junk like "metadata.json" and
"./spec/spec.opts") without making it more so.