On Wednesday, May 9, 2012 2:23:46 PM UTC-7, Ken Barber wrote:

> > As a suggestion.. if you guys INSIST on overloading the term "module",
> > cover both user-level code, and back-end code, then I would recommend
> you
> > add an additional, separate subcommand to puppet-module, that generates
> > back-end templating, instead of the default user-side templating.
> > Dumping both types of templating as the default, would make things more
> > confusing to the general-case user.
> > It's confusing enough (with all the extra junk like "metadata.json" and
> > "./spec/spec.opts") without making it more so.
>
> This is a fair enough feature request - I would presume there are
> almost 'template styles' that one would want. ie. Generate a templated
> resource, generate a class, generate a fact or function etc. So that
> way, you could almost have people defining their own set of templates
> as well. I often find that would help a customer, when they have
> finally decided on a preferred template - giving them the capability
> to keep their own library would be awesome. What do you think?

Yup, something like that would be great. With the exception that I think
you should limit it to *not* be user extensible. IMO, best to keep it to
"officially blessed" organization only.

If they want to do their own templating, they can already. That's what the
"jump straight to puppet module build" thing that you suggested to me, is
for, combined with their own git repository or something.

But meanwhile, I have no template, so Im' still wondering where I put my
type and resource provider files in this thing :-}
"puppet module build" just seemed to create a "pkg" directory, and a
tarfile.
Without some output like the "generate" stuff, I still have been given no
clue where or how it determines the contents for the tarfile, so I have no
idea how to even get my files into it, let alone what the right place for
them are. :(