On Wednesday, May 9, 2012 2:23:46 PM UTC-7, Ken Barber wrote:

> > And IMO, that's as it should be. Back end ruby language code should be
> held
> > separate from regular "puppet language code" stuff.
>
> I'm still not convinced, but I'm open to being convinced :-).

Here's the important factor, which you guys @puppetlabs simply cannot see,
because you've been steeped in it so long:

"puppet language", and ruby, are *two* *separate* *languages*.
Similar, yet different. Each with slightly different quirks. And in
addition to that, there's (plain ruby), and then there's (ruby + puppet
back-end code).
Which is a smaller scale equivalent of (C language, plus
insert-toolkit-lib-here)

Try to picture a sysadmin. a reasonably competant sysadmin. But one who has
zero prior experience with ruby, or puppet.

Now try to imagine this person attempting to fully understand puppet.

To *fully* undestand it, he has to try to learn 2.5 brand new languages.

Which is made even more difficult by the "minor detail", that
NO-ONE TELLS HIM THEY ARE DIFFERENT.

This is enough to make even a highly competant sysadmin run away screaming.

In fact, I myself did, some years ago. But I've had enough motivation to
come back and give it another go lately.

Point of reference:
I've been in the industry for 20 years.
I have a computer science degree.
I know approximately 10 diferent computer languages, and 3 real world ones.
I've written device drivers, and 5,000 line shell scripts.

if it was difficult for ME to understand and separate, contextually... how
difficult do you think it will be for the average sysadmin who has zero
ruby experience, etc?

Because of this, I'm saying it is really really important to have clearly
defined borders between "frontend" puppet language
 (the language of manifests)
and backend (ruby, and related puppet code)
Simply for the sanity of any poor admin who attempts to read this stuff,
and doesnt realize he's stepped over into an entirely different language
country, when he changed files.
Because after all, "they're all just a 'puppet module', right? so they're
all the same language".