On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 1:26 PM, John Bollinger <john.bollin...@stjude.org>
wrote:

> I'm going to think a little more and see what others have to say before I
> come down on the question of (2) vs. (2a).

I think we should do 2a because there should be rough parity between the
configuration files and the command line arguments.  We should do 2 or 2a
because as John says, Puppet should, "Stop getting in my way!"

Specifically, running stand alone tools like Vagrant or a Puppet apply
Jenkins jobs would require coordinating the environment for the node across
a distributed system, which is complex and non-trivial.  Much easier to set
the environment using an environment variable or other job parameter and
just be done with it.  Much more simple and straight-forward.

-Jeff