On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:40:19 PM UTC-5, Felix Frank wrote:

> All things considered, we find ourselves in a fine position to choose
> our poison. There were more votes from the 2/2a camps, but also good
> points from RI in favor of 3.
>
> This leads me to believe that whatever we choose, a priority should be
> for `apply` to be very vocal about which environment is in effect, and
> how it was chosen. I don't think we have so much as a debug message
> right now. I propose a notice to always comment on the environment.
> Perhaps even a warning when the user is apparently trying to do
> something that can't work.
>
> I was just about to suggest just taking 2a for all the votes it received
> and for being the closest to current behavior (minus insanity). But then
> the list of arguments in favor of 3 is rather impressive. Its negatives
> aren't too bad, and can be mitigated through UI design.
>
> Call to the 2/2a supporters - are you at all swayed by those?

I'm not sure I'm *persuaded*, but I am certainly swayed.  As I said
initially, the consistency afforded by option 3 is very appealing.  If my
concerns about the viability of the --node-terminus option for overriding
the ENC prove unfounded then I wouldn't complain about option 3.

In any case, I agree that 'apply' should be abundantly clear about which
environment is chosen, and why.

John