On 10/07/2014 04:05 AM, Britt Gresham wrote:
>     I think we should do 2a because there should be rough parity between
>     the configuration files and the command line arguments.  We should
>     do 2 or 2a because as John says, Puppet should, "Stop getting in my
>     way!"
>

> I think that option 2a is the safest. Allowing command line and
> configuration files to override an ENC makes the most sense when it
> comes to running down a configuration issue with puppet. Instead of
> going to the ENC to find that it is overriding a local configuration
> change you have a limited number of files to search on a node before
> consulting the ENC itself.
>
> Even if 2a does not get chosen the command line arguments should rule
> over any ENC or configuration file because that is what the user is
> explicitly requesting.

Sounds like a trend. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I took a tentative look at the code. While we can easily find out
whether the :environment setting was specified on the command line,
there is no obvious way to find out whether a value was set in the
configuration files rather than left at its default.

I do feel that variant 2 would be much more restrictive and confusing
than 2a by now. So I we may have to patch the settings subsystem to
allow for this.

Am I missing something in the existing tool chain?