I vote for option 2 or 3.
But against 2a. I think differentiating between a config file that
specifies the default value (environment=production), and one that leaves
it out (to get the default value) seems really odd behaviour.

Note that this whole thing only applies if you have node_terminus=exec in
the main or user sections of the config file, and your ENC actually returns
a environment. So if you want to ignore your ENC you can also just use
--node_terminus=plain on the command line.

Erik Dalén