I honestly think the most important thing for new users is to clean up the
documentation.

Not a lot of the existing docs on the wiki read as being particularly
authoritative. They're full of lines like:

"Exporting and collecting resources is an extension of virtual
resources<http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/VirtualResources>.
Puppet provides an experimental superset of virtual resources, using a
similar syntax."  <- are exported resources really "experimental" anymore?

Something that has been noted in the past as being problematic was the fact
that it's not always clear what version of puppet given functionality
appeared in. This was a much bigger problem in the 0.24.x series where new
features were being added, and the new approach to releases should make this
easier, but it was definitely a problem in the past.

I like having a community contributed wiki, but wikis are prone to producing
documentation that isn't authoritative ( "I managed to get foo to work by
doing blah") without a clear sense of direction.

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 4:38 AM, Julian Simpson <simpsonjul...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Late to the party here. I thought Gepetto looked useful for new puppet
> users.  Similar to the Chef Repository on GitHub that new Chef users
> are encouraged to clone:
>
> http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Chef+Repository
>
> I have a hunch that the Chef users are more likely to be Ruby
> developers and hence be used to git.  Gepetto will let the new user
> create a well-structured repository without needing to be a git/github
> user.
>
> J.
>

> On 6 February 2010 01:16, Michael DeHaan <mich...@reductivelabs.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Patrick <kc7...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> > Great info everyone, thanks for all the feedback.    Look for a lot of
> > improvements, especially in the documentation/example space soon.
> >
> > --Michael
> >
> > --

> Julian Simpson
> Software Build and Deployment