Kaspar Schiess wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to tell you a little story. We've been enthusiastic puppet users since about a year ago here at the Geographic Institute of the University of Zürich.

But we won't use the zpool type ever again. Its just not worth it. Here's what happened:

. one of our servers lost knowledge about one of its zfs pools
. puppet didn't find the pool and .. went on to zpool create it
. we did indeed have a backup, but would have lost all data if not

Creating zpools is a manual thing in every case, since one has to know the devices participating. The names of which tend to be a little bit different from one server to the next.

Add that to the possibility of major data loss (like we just experienced) and get a negative yield for the 'zpool' type.

Hoping to inspire a few..
kaspar

Thunderbird and/or GMail just flaked so apologies if this is sent twice:

I see this as being distinctly part of the provisioning portion of a server life-cycle. I haven't looked at the discussion on -dev, but i'm not sure these types really belong in core puppet. They're not unix-agnostic resources for one (has that fundamental bit of philosophy changed?), and they're unlikely to change in a way that you want puppet to 'correct'.

That being said, some people have 'bootstrap' envs, which would be a better place to have these destructive resources than in your production environment.

--
Joe McDonagh
AIM: YoosingYoonickz