Hi

as far as I understood was that the zpool information was lost, hence
puppet thought that there was no zpool anymore. I assume that this means
that zpool-tools didn't know about that anymore either, but it might
have been recoverable with manual interaction.
That's what happened. Actually, it wasn't lost so much as I did remove it manually in failsafe mode (rm /etc/zfs/zpool.cache) to be able to boot into normal mode again.

It is correct that zfs normally wont allow to recreate zpool (issuing a warning about the device already being part of a zpool). Only that when your OS doesn't know about the pool anymore, you don't want puppet to create it on the next boot - you will want to recover it. But I guess I've driven that home.

So to reproduce this (for whatever its worth) try deleting /etc/zfs/zpool.cache.

In addition, I totally agree about the complexities surrounding zpool
creation.

If zpool could create complex setups for me without knowing about device names beforehand, it would really be useful for provisioning. This way .. its just plain dangerous.

I'll try to see if I can add to the other thread you mention.

Greetings,
kaspar