Hi

> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Kaspar Schiess <e...@space.ch> wrote:
>> Creating zpools is a manual thing in every case, since one has to know the
>> devices participating. The names of which tend to be a little bit different
>> from one server to the next.
>
> Wow, so I've got a fairly large Solaris 10 server deployment and I've
> never used the zpool type out of F.U.D.  I've often thought I should,
> but at the same time thought I'd have to dig into the source to see
> what it'd actually do.
>
> So I'm surprised by the result, could you describe the situation a bit
> more?  Every time I've used the zpool create command on a block device
> that was/is a member of a zpool the command complains loudly that this
> is a potentially dangerous and destructive operation.
>
> If I'm sure I then force the operation with zpool create -f
>
> Does the zpool type just blindly force creation and ignore these warning?

as far as I understood was that the zpool information was lost, hence
puppet thought that there was no zpool anymore. I assume that this means
that zpool-tools didn't know about that anymore either, but it might
have been recoverable with manual interaction.

and looking at the code [1] it doesn't look like it uses -f.

> In addition, I totally agree about the complexities surrounding zpool
> creation.  I run with MPxIO and the device path names change when the
> system first boots after MPxIO is activated.  With the complexity of
> dealing with two device paths before puppet configures MPxIO and one
> totally new name after MPxIO, I've just always dealt with it
> semi-manually with some helper scripts that look at format</dev/null
> "before and after" outputs, comparing them to determine the actual
> path I'm interested in.

in general I see disk allocation as part of provisioning, which
shouldn't go into puppet. but that's how I seperate things and others
might have reasons to do differently.

> So I don't think this is an intractable problem, I think the type just
> needs to be smarter and follow the expectations people have about
> zpool create versus zpool create -f

It's a bit like the discussion in [2], how can puppet determine that
there have been once something on that and that it shouldn't take the
dangerous actions if the tools don't reveal it.

cheers pete

[1]
http://github.com/reductivelabs/puppet/blob/master/lib/puppet/provider/zpool/solaris.rb
[2]