On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Patrick <kc7...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wouldn't call it unreasonable.  I would call it "lack of a really cool
> feature".

Pretty fundamental feature :-)

I am not saying Puppet needs to magically know what I'd like to happen
with the file. However, it should at least give us enough tools/info
to operate.

>> Imagine you are joining a puppet-using company. To "remove a class"
>> from a server you now need to know all the files ever installed or
>> managed by that class, since puppet started to be used there.
>
> Except if you look through the definitions in the class it shouldn't be too
> manually write rules that do the opposite.

Except that some definitions may be gone. That's what worries me. Sure
I can read the pp files as they are today.

 - John had a webmail server class assigned to server Frodo. Service
apache must be running, an /etc/apache/conf.d/webmail.conf must be in
place.

 - Frodo is no longer a webmail server. John added a rule to disable
apache service.

 - Here I come new job! First task: set Frodo to be a moodle server.
New class has moodle dpkg, /etc/apache/conf.d/moodle.conf -- and
enables apache.

Hell-O!

> Second, you don't need to do this for config files in directories managed
> with "purge".

How would you tackle the example above with 'purge'?  Note that
/etc/apache/conf.d/ has other files too, provided by the apache dpkg
(and similar in /etc/httpd/conf.d on RH/Fedora machines).

> A much nastier example is File.  I've been managing a config file.  The file
> existed before and File replaces it.  Later the file is replaced by something
> other than Puppet.  File dutifully replaces the file again.  Which file
> should puppet restore?

I think we should at least be able to say "remove it when we no longer
mention it". Something like 'purgewhengone' => YesPlease

Don't know if Puppet as it stands today keeps enough state for this.

Any kind of 'restoreoriginal' would get into the problems you outline,
and then some more. Which "original"?

cheers,

 martin.langh...@gmail.com
 mar...@laptop.org -- School Server Architect