> Le 8 janv. 2017 à 03:00, Jakov Sosic <jso...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Hi guys,
>
> this is maybe a topic better suited for -dev list, but, well, here goes.
>
> I've been using puppet heavily for 3-4 years, up until version 4, now I'm
> mostly maintaining my own open source modules.
>
> What stumped me lately is the amount of changes that are happening.
>

> Every week/two-weeks I do some code changes, and since I tried adding some of
> the spec tests through TravisCI, I've encountered errors about
> `validate_string` being obsoleted.
>
> Then, looking deeper into the rabbit hole. I've encountered this:
>
> https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-ntp/blob/master/manifests/init.pp
>
> And I was shocked... :D WTF just happened? :D

This one is funny too:
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-ntp/blob/master/templates/ntp.conf.epp

> And, on the other hand - all this complexity to manage a NTP?

And that's for something that for a given environment never change, have no
options. So dropping a standard file that is hand made once in a lifetime is
enough for the vast majority of people.

That's why I don't use standard or references modules. I can do in 10 lines
written in 10 minutes what they did in 100 written in many days. I don't care
that they don't run on some exotic plate from that I never heard of or are not
good for stratum 1 servers. They are tailored for my need, that's enough for me.
They never brake, never warn, works almost unchanged from puppet 2.7 time and
it take me the same amount of time that it would have taken to download,
understand and check them.

> 2) Something like search function in chef instead of exported resources and
> puppetdb

Puppetdb is very nice and useful, but perhaps a simple and custom query langage
would be easier to use than strange json query.

> 3) Simpler and more integrated orchestration - mcollective is over-engineered
> and learning curve is almost vertical uphill battle.

I don' agree with this, it does nice thing and you can use it without going
deep into it. If you have very special needs, a tool like rundeck might be very
helpful.