On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 2:31:33 PM UTC-5, Rob Nelson wrote:

> There are a lot of very valid issues and concerns you bring up here. I do
> want to start by saying, however, that puppet 4 is more than 6 months old -
> about 20 months to be precise - and most of the significant language
> changes were introduced somewhat earlier in the future parser in puppet 3.
> These changes should be easier to take in for sure, but that is at least 3x
> more to catch up on. I hope that doesn't sound like a harsh response, but I
> think it's more accepted that after 1.5-2 years, most moving projects will
> require significant re-learning.

I've been using "future parser" in Puppet 3 for a while-- I absolutely had
to have iteration, and a few other features, so I *thought* I had been
keeping up with puppet development.

I had a similar reaction to the OP when I looked at the NTP code--
"eeeeek!!!".

Although knowing that it's optional is a good thing, and knowing it's
available is also good-- it is something of an overwhelming example of
"wall of code".  Then again, for those who say NTP is simple-- I point and
laugh in your general direction.  The fact that NTP *can* be as simple as a
drift file and an NTP host, doesn't mean it's always that easy, and I
respect the amount of effort in making that module work.

Having said that, my ntp class is a bit simpler, and resembles the classic
"package / file / service" puppet class, because that's all my site
requires.

Most of my bitterness towards puppet comes from the 3.x series, where the
API was a moving target, and upgrading to the "latest" puppet 3.x package
could break your world.  It's gotten significantly better, but I'm still
only about halfway up the puppet 3.x --> 4.x cliff.  ;)