IMHO, the changes made to the language in 4.x allows for better and more
complete modeling of systems. Yes you have more 'things' to learn, the
types/lookup systems for example but they are relatively simple to
understand. Look at your ntp example, I image it was the specification of
Types that looks so different and it is but your get assurances that your
classes parameters receive data it can use. You don't need an army of
validators. This is a good thing.

The rapid development of a system and its supporting structures is not a
sign of rot it's quite the opposite.

Keep in mind as well that puppet is NOT a scripting language that lets you
setup ntp on your nodes. It's a modeling language that lets you express the
important features of your system(s).  At times that can look like
over-engineering and it is if the perspective you have is  'I just need my
ntp config pushed to my box' but I'd posit that your missing the forest for
the trees. The ntp model should model the ntp system with sufficient
suppleness that it is generally applicable AND able to handle more advanced
use cases. If that is not an important feature if the systems you are
modeling, don't use it. File[] is always there 😉