----- Original Message -----

so we're on the same page are you just saying in general the NTP module has too
much
going on and its too huge for a "simple" piece of software?

Or that are you comparing the puppet 3 version:

https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-ntp/blob/1cdff74278d2fce0f7a12100d12913c9e0c36ce8/manifests/init.pp
  and it's companion file
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-ntp/blob/1cdff74278d2fce0f7a12100d12913c9e0c36ce8/manifests/params.pp

with puppet 4 version

  https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-ntp/blob/master/manifests/init.pp
  and it's companion file
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-ntp/blob/master/data/common.yaml

and saying it's gotten impossible and much worse?

The main difference is lines like:

 validate_bool($disable_auth)

became

 Boolean $disable_auth

and Data now uses Hiera, its a LOT LESS code in Puppet 4 and fewer dependencies
etc

Just want to understand the actual complaint part of this distinctly from the
rant
part of this mail thread.