Thanks for the replay.  Sorry we weren't able to chat before the game jam,
but I'm in #pygame pretty often, under the nickname bitcraft.

There are a few projects already using pytmx/pyscroll, and I'll include a
few that I know about.

https://github.com/justinmeister/PyTMX-Examples
http://www.reddit.com/r/pygame/comments/27yzex/getting_started_with_pytmx_making_collideable/
https://github.com/bitcraft/pyscroll/tree/master/tutorial/code

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?action=preview&uid=7968
https://github.com/justinmeister/The-Stolen-Crown-RPG
https://github.com/wkmanire/Platakart
https://github.com/wkmanire/PyMunkTMX
https://github.com/bitcraft/pyweek18
https://github.com/fish-face/door-restorer
https://github.com/jamesalbert/FinalTrigger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK8Mf-pE1gU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74q1t8UPAes

The quadtree functions might be useful as a part of the sprite module.  It
offers reasonably quick collision checking for rects and rect like objects.

I can contact the people who have used pytmx/pyscroll in the past and see
if the api is adequate.

I realize that pygame hasn't had a release in a while.  If the maintainers
of pygame would be willing to include these libraries, that alone should be
enough to publish another official release.  If I could get positive
feedback and the backing of the maintainers, then I don't really mind
putting in the extra effort for documentation and testing.

Pygame is being embraced by the rasberrypi community, and I think it would
reflect well on pygame if that community had more options for making games
on that platform.