On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Moshe Zadka writes:
>  > As long as you're breaking things anyway, let me suggest one change:
>  > have the "Gtk" prefix stripped from the classes' names (GtkText -> Text,
>  > etc) and recommend that Gtk is imported via
> [...]
>
>   I think (but am not sure) that James meant there would be *some*
> breakage, not *lots* of breakage.

Well, I'm not sure how much breakage would be, but it's certainly not up
to James alone: Gtk+ 1.4 is sure to break code anyway. As PyGTK is still
young, I think there is still hope to fix those things...

>   As it stands, my PyGTK code always does:
>
> import gtk
> w = gtk.GtkWindow()     # or whatever

Mine too...

>   I don't mind the leading Gtk prefix, but wouldn't mind seeing it go,
> either.  If the expected breakage isn't too bad, I'd keep it as-is.
>   What I *really* want to see go is code that does
>
> from <module> import *
>
> for any value of <module>.

+1 on that.

> (same for Tkinter, which should be named tk
> or, at worst, Tk).

In the mediaveal times I used Tkinter, my code usually started with

import Tkinter;Tk=Tkinter;del Tkinter

ah-the-memories-ly y'rs, Z.
--
Moshe Zadka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.