While I think that in principle this would be a good idea, there are
some management issues that would need to be resolved, such as:
        1- PyGTK wraps GTK+ for Python. Which life-cycle do we follow, GTK's or
Python's?
        2- Do we keep PyGTK's bugzilla, or use sourceforge's bug tracker (ugh!)
to integrate better with python;
        3- What happens to pyorbit and gnome-python? They probably don't belong
in python, anyway, but I needed to raise this point...
        4- Someone might bring up political question regarding the inclusion of
pygtk in detriment of pyqt; in particular, KDE's more intense
enthusiasts (=fanatics:) may stop liking python because of the inclusion
of pygtk;

 In spite of these issues, there are many advantages of including pygtk,
as you all know.  But it also depends on the degree of freedom that
python's maintainers would be willing to give to pygtk developers, I
think...

  Just my 0.02 ¤...

A Sex, 2004-06-18 às 10:27, Matthew Bull escreveu:
> I realise I'm quite new to this list but I've been working with PyGTK
> for a while now and would welcome peoples feedback on something. please
> put me straight if I'm treading on toes, or reiterating an old
> discussion.
>
> There have been several discussions on the list in the last few months
> about trying to get PyGTK into the standard library, and whilst
> attending europython recently I had an opportunity to steer
> conversations in that direction with a lot of people to get a feel for
> the (european at least) communities take on this, most of the people I
> spoke to where non PyGTK folks, and the opinions seemed to be generally
> favourable.
>
> there where however a few buts...
>
> 1. Documentation -
>
> this is something that has been discussed on the list quite a few times
> and actually I think the exsisting free docs are perfectly adequate it
> seemed to mostly come from people who had tried PyGTK "back in the day"
> (when I seem to remember there wasn't a lot of documentation)
>
> 2. Windows -
>
> many people seemed surprised that GTK ran on windows at all and others
> had been put of by all the various different ways of doing it, I have
> been reading the [Installation Problems on Win32] thread that seems to
> be raging on so I'll just add my two pence worth from what I've gathered
> so far the python community at large and the maintainers of the standard
> libraries would want a simple "drop it in" installer for the basic gtk
> runtime (a la dropline).
>
> 3.Idle -
>
> Actually most people seemed to be oblivious to Idle but I can see it
> would have to be ported to GTK (almost re-written) and this is where I
> come in, I've already been doing some stuff with a simple text editor
> written in python and PyGTK and I have some time available so if no one
> else wants the job I'll take it on, help would be appreciated or if
> someone else wants the job (or has already started it), my help is
> offered.
>
> So is this something the PyGTK community wants to see happen? I for one
> would love to see PyGTK in the standard distro, (Tk is sooooo long in
> the tooth its untrue) and am willing to put in some work to see it
> happen, so if its already happening put me to work!, if not could we
> make it happen??
>
> thanks for taking the time to read this
>
> Matt

Gustavo João Alves Marques Carneiro
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
The universe is always one step beyond logic.