On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 20:32 -0300, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 10:27:28AM +0100, Matthew Bull wrote:
> > There have been several discussions on the list in the last few months
> > about trying to get PyGTK into the standard library, and whilst
> > attending europython recently I had an opportunity to steer
> > conversations in that direction with a lot of people to get a feel for
> > the (european at least) communities take on this, most of the people I
> > spoke to where non PyGTK folks, and the opinions seemed to be generally
> > favourable.
> [snip numerous arguments in favor of including pygtk]
>
> Summarizing the issues presented in this thread, we have the following
> topics that want evaluation:
>
>     - Combined Release

pygtk is currently on the GNOME 6-monthly time-based release schedule.
Unless the Python release schedule is the same as the GNOME release
schedule (highly unlikely) then it can't really be on both schedules.

I am always against putting things inside other commonly-distributed
source tarballs just to get them distributed. pygtk is already quite
well packaged on major distros.

>     - API Stability
>
>     - Tkinter, KDE and Python advocacy
>
>     - Non-GTK+ packages
>
>     - MacOS functionality
>
>     - Use of Python's development infrastructure
>
>     - Distribution of documentation
>
> I'm not even going to try fleshing these out, but whoever wants to argue
> about inclusion needs to take these into serious consideration.
>
> One thing that popped up were two potential projects that somebody with
> some free time or a lot of love for Python and PyGTK could try tackling:
>
>     - IDLE Port
>
>     - Integrated RAD Tool
>
> Thanks for chipping in with opinions and proposals,
> --
> Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 261 2331
Murray Cumming
[EMAIL PROTECTED]