On Tue, 2007-18-12 at 07:41 -0500, Mark Ramm wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2007 3:12 AM, Ben Bangert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > After talking with Ian Bicking a bit tonight, I'm finally fully sold
> > on retiring the one-letter variable names from Pylons. The most likely
> > replacement names:
> > c -> context
> > g -> ??? (as globals/global is already taken)
> > h -> GONE (import the modules you need, most ppl want similar
> > functions and can't find them anyways, importing them teaches people
> > where they are, and shows them what else they might want to use)
>
> Well, Turbogears 2 currently provides aliases for these things because
> the current variable names are meaningless, and if you made these
> changes it would certainly help to move TG2 and pylons closer together
> because we could drop those aliases.
>
> As for the imports, we've recently had this discussion in TG, and it
> may be reasonable to have some commented out import lines for some
> common user requirements.

Yes, this is a really helpful approach to the new user. I think you can
safely say that the commented out lines are worth to new users, and that
advanced users who don't like them are pretty likely to be able to redo
their paster templates themselves.

Though that said, I have always thought it would be great for paster and
in tg quickstart to have an option for a very verbose beginner friendly
template. All the imports, all the common tools ( ie logger, .c, .g,
etc ), ready to go and commented. Maybe that is something I could look
into making for TG2 and pylons if there is interest.

Iain