On 12/18/07, Ben Bangert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> After talking with Ian Bicking a bit tonight, I'm finally fully sold
> on retiring the one-letter variable names from Pylons. The most likely
> replacement names:
> c -> context
> g -> ??? (as globals/global is already taken)
> h -> GONE (import the modules you need, most ppl want similar
> functions and can't find them anyways, importing them teaches people
> where they are, and shows them what else they might want to use)

Whoa! I worked long hours and haven't noticed April 1 is here.

Or...wait...this is a joke, right? Right?

But pls  do not rename 'c' to 'context'. As Ian noted, "context" bears no
real meaning; it's like a 'var' variable. And it makes sense to have a short
name because it used so often.

I also strongly object the idea of removing h. Why? What this brings on the
table???

On a positive side, I agree with "getting rid of import *" idea. Jonathan
code seems both clear and sufficiently compact:

    from pylons import request, response
    from pylons import context, app_globals, session

 It also makes sense to rename g to app_global(s) since this is used rarely
and is kind of a global variable. Which should be long so they are easier to
spot and harder to type. ;)

And url_for should be "promoted" higher, from h namespace directly to
pylons.

--
Max
http://maxischenko.in.ua // http://www.linkedin.com/in/maksim