Ben Bangert wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2007, at 12:12 AM, Ben Bangert wrote:
>> In controllers, I think we can do away with the 'from ... import *'.
>> While this works nicely for awhile, it almost always tends to leave a
>> bad taste on people's mouth. The default controller template could
>> instead come with the only necessary import:
>
> Of course, those wanting to use 'from ... import *', no reason they
> can't continue to use that. ;)
>
> I'm also looking at some of the locations for things, and since beaker
> handles its own stacked object proxy, I'm thinking it might be cleaner
> and less confusing if projects imported the session object from where
> the package that provides it... beaker. So instead of:
>
> from pylons import session
>
> When you want sessions, you'd add:
> from beaker.middleware import beaker_session as session

What about just subclassing webob.Response and adding a session property
to it?

Potentially this could be done in application packages themselves, in an
application-specific subclass of Request.  I actually think hanging lots
of things off a app-local Request class is quite reasonable.  One thing
I haven't documented in WebOb is how the descriptors work, but I could
write that up so it's clearer how to add new attributes.  You can also
add arbitrary attributes to the request which are all kept in one
environ key.

I also don't think indirection is bad, the problem is more "import *"
specifically, because you can't backtrack through that very easily.  And
I kind of like the helpers module.

I generally like the idea of comments that are helpful to new users, but
I've also noticed that the comments get get left in forever.  I don't
know what the proper compromise is there.  Can we setup pylint (or
pyflakes or something) to complain specifically about these comments?

--
Ian Bicking : [EMAIL PROTECTED] : http://blog.ianbicking.org